Open Position: Communications Lead
Midwest Food Connection is seeking a passionate colleague to join our team as we inspire young people to deepen their relationship with food in ways that benefit their bodies, their communities, and the earth. Midwest Food Connection works with about 40 schools in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area. This year, we expect to reach 4,000 students in grades K-8.
Our extensive and award-winning curriculum covers topics from whole grains to local produce to Indigenous and local immigrant cuisines. We blend storytelling, cooking, art, gardening, and culture to educate young people about how food, and our relationship with food, can lead to a better future.
Midwest Food Connection has support from foundations, area food co-ops, schools, and individual donors. As we expand our work, we are looking to improve the cultivation of our donor base, activate and engage our supporters, and share our good work with the community.
The successful candidate will bring positive energy to our mission and creatively engage our community and donors with engaging communications delivered through digital and print media. They will actively tell the stories of our impacts on youth and their families.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and grow social media presence to reach our growing audience of parents, teachers, and supporters
- Maintain, post, and update social media profiles such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok
- Attend and document Midwest Food Connection teaching and events
- Assist in donor cultivation through fundraising campaigns and in helping to organize in-person events
- Write blog posts and quarterly e-newsletter
- Keep website fresh and accurate
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Knowledge and experience with popular social media platforms
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Experience with video editing software
- Knowledge of WordPress and Canva
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s degree or currently enrolled in an accredited college or university in communications, marketing, or related field of study.
- Ability to provide own transportation to and from schools and meeting sites, as needed. Mileage is reimbursed.
- Availability of home office
Organization-wide time off including federal holidays and winter/spring breaks. Flexible schedule.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter by November 4, 2022, to [email protected]
Midwest Food Connection is grateful to the land and waters of Mni Sota Makoce for the nourishment and abundance they provide for us. We respect the earth and all its creatures that walk and crawl and fly and swim. We honor our ancestors, whose shoulders we stand upon, acknowledging both the gifts and transgressions they have passed down to us. We are conscious of the fact that we live on lands that were taken violently from the Dakota people and that despite genocidal actions taken to eradicate them from this state, they and other native tribes continue to live in dignity, to struggle, and to thrive, on these lands today. By offering this land acknowledgement Midwest Food Connection moves forward to enact its mission to inspire young people to deepen their relationship with food and value earth’s bounty.
Midwest Food Connection is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status or disability.