- Rutabaga – chop into cubes
- Dinosaur Kale (or another kind of kale or “greens”) – cut into bite-size pieces
- Leek – cut the white and light green parts into rings or half rings
- Oil and Salt
- Heat up a little oil in a pan.
- Add the rutabaga. Let it cook for a few minutes.
- Put in the kale and leek.
- Add a little salt for flavor.
- Add some water to create steam and cover with a lid.
- Check on the vegetables every now and then to make sure they aren’t burning.
- Cook until the rutabaga is soft and cuts easily with a knife. Let them turn a little brown, if you like.
Many other vegetables would work as well. Ask your student if he/she can remember any other “foods from the root cellar” or hardy winter vegetables to try making this recipe.